On our way to Portland we flew through Newark (New Jersey) and for once we didn’t miss our flights because of it… Of course, once we got on the plane to Portland we did sit on the runway for an hour …sigh…
Ahh well, once we were finally in the air Rachel and I watched Kingdom of Heaven on my iPhone and we were then graced with some magnificent views of the Mountainous west coast.
After being in Portland for all of 30 minutes we had a few observations:
- It’s very green. There’s huge Ponderosa Pine Trees absolutely everywhere and they’re gorgeous.
- It’s very green-conscious. We probably saw 147 bikes between the airport and our Hotel. There are bike lanes on literally every street, and bike paths next to every highway. There are “Please Conserve Water” signs everywhere.
- The flowers are amazing and they’re everywhere
- It’s Claim Jumpers not Clam Jumpers
- Shopping is great here. Lots of outlet stores and no sales tax! This doesn’t mean we’ll be doing any this trip, but it certainly is a good place to go if you’d like to. The pearl district seems to be where all the higher class shops are.
- Unemployment is bad here, we saw beggars on pretty much every major intersection between the airport and the hotel.
We had a great trip in and a nice relaxing first day.