There are many reasons to have and use multiple PCs. Until recently I, like many of my friends, had several computers to accomplish the simple tasks I do with them. I had a web server, a file server, a laptop and my PC. However, I had lots of reasons to consolidate my PCs.
- My PC has grown to old to be useful for gaming, which was its original intention.
- I switched from hosting my own sites to using powweb.
- Upgrading to Media Player 11 allows me to stream to my PS3 eliminating the need to use a separate file server running a media server.
- Running only one PC costs less money than running three PCs 24 hours a day.
- All my files were being stored on a Raid 1 array by the file server. This was easily transferred to my PC since it was just two SATA drives.
- When working on my PC I would often transfer files locally to do work and then move them back to the file server. Now I can always work locally and still have the data being duplicated.
- Running on a standard installation instead of a server configuration allows me to use services like Mozy for off site backup.
- My printer is now directly connected to my PC instead of shared through my server.
So Consolidate your PCs today and simplify your network and your life!