History is kind of like science. It’s true whether you believe it or not.
The thing is though, if we forget it we repeat it.
- The confederacy WAS about slavery.
- The monuments ARE celebratory of traitors AND aggressive toward people of color.
- The monuments WERE erected DECADES after the end of the war, DURING Jim Crow.
- The ideals and celebration of the confederacy NEED to be wiped from our country with the exception of museums and the history books.
- Germany DOES have monuments and statues related to nazi Germany but you know what they depict? The absolute defiance of the Jewish people and the horrific atrocities committed to them. You know WHY?
So they fucking remember.
Dachau is one of the most stirring experiences of my life. When I think of it, there are tears and it was almost 25 years ago.
On top of the various statues and monuments, the thing that has stuck with me the most is the gate.
Arbeit Macht Frei
Work Makes one Free
I can’t exactly place my finger on it but this has always seemed pretty close to attitudes and ideas from our current administration (including the lie).
IF we allow these statues, monuments, street names, and military base names to remain we will be doing nothing more than supporting those traitorous a-holes AGAIN.
ANYONE that thinks this crap needs to remain needs to remove themselves from this country right along with it.